Show off your garden’s bounty with a flower vase made of asparagus. The fresh green stems are the perfect way to display your beautiful blooms.
This simple hack turns an asparagus bunch into a memorable bouquet. Read on to see how it’s done.
How to Make an Asparagus Vase
- Begin with a standard bunch of asparagus from your favorite market. If you’re harvesting from your garden, you’ll need about a dozen stems. You’ll need two rubber bands. The bands from the asparagus bunch work well for this project.
- You’ll also need a glass jar and a pair of pruners. A paring knife (not shown here) may come in handy, as well. Tip: a wide-mouth pint Mason jar works well, but use whatever you have. Depending on the size of the jar, you may need more asparagus stems.
3. Line up asparagus stalks around the glass jar and secure with a rubber band. Use a knife to trim the stems as you go.
4. Choose a beautiful ribbon that will coordinate with your blooms. Wired ribbon is easy to work with.
5. Arrange your blooms in the vase and fill partway with water. Display your arrangement and enjoy!
Read More on A Cook and Her Books
I like to use sprigs of herbs like thyme and basil in my floral arrangements. Check out my primer on growing herbs in your home garden.
Plant your flower garden with pollinator favorites. I tell you how in this story on growing a pollinator garden.