Soda bread recipes get their due each year around St. Patrick’s Day, but these humbles loaves are worth baking throughout the year. This Quick Cheddar Bread recipe is a great example. It’s an easy accompaniment to soup, like my homemade seafood chowder, and it comes together in a snap. If you have flour, buttermilk and rat-trap Cheddar on hand, you can turn this loaf around while the soup bubbles away on the stovetop.
I like to make three petite round loaves out of this batter. The loaves are best in the first couple days. Good news: a slice of this bread makes stellar toast.
Whole Wheat Cheddar Soda Bread Recipe
You can use a mix of whole wheat and white flour. I used a total of four cups of King Arthur Flour White Whole Wheat Flour.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat)
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
2 cups buttermilk (use whole buttermilk, if you can find it)
Milk or cream to brush on top of loaves
- Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, oats, baking soda and salt. Add the Cheddar cheese and mix thoroughly (hands are good for this).
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk and stir with a fork until incorporated, but just. Using your hands, pull the mixture into a dough and lightly knead a few times.
- Pat the dough into three rounds, place on baking sheet and, using a knife, cut an X into the top. Brush the tops with milk or cream or whatever dairy is appropriate and handy.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 45 minutes, or until browned. You may need to use a toothpick to determine if the interior is wet. If so, bake for a few more minutes, until toothpick comes out dry. Cool on rack.
Tip: Bread is best when fresh. Wrap well and store in refrigerator.
Try More Recipes from A Cook and Her Books
Looking for a bowl of comfort? Try my tomato gravy and biscuits recipe for a tasty buttermilk biscuit and creamy tomato gravy recipe.
My hearty white chicken chili recipe makes a tasty family-pleasing meal from a few cans in your pantry.
Everything is better with a pan of brownies. And you can’t miss with my favorite fudgy brownies recipe.